Books are influenced by the research material used by the author. Readers who like a book, therefore, may take an interest in the reference books that contributed to a book.
Here’s my list of favorite research material for the books and short stories that I write.
Magic during the Middle Ages and Renaissance:
1) The Foundations of Modern Science in the Middle Ages – Edward Grant
2) Renaissance Magic & the Return of the Golden Age – John S. Melbane
3) Eros and Magic in the Renaissance – Ioan P. Couliano
4) The History of Witchcraft – Montague Summers
5) Alchemists and Gold – Jacques Sadoul